Sunday, November 16, 2008

Did it... and glad I didn't

I purchased the Metallica gig from http://www.livemetallica.com/ yesterday AM and I'm glad I did. They sound tremendously good and I'm not disappointed.

What I didn't do was go to the Avenge Sevenfold/ BuckCherry/ ShineDown/ Saving Abel show in Waterloo last night. On Friday night, at 7, I hadn't heard from the publicist so I called it. I called my friend in Waterloo that I was going to go with and said, "I haven't heard from him, I'm calling it." That way, he could make plans if he wanted to and I could make plans as well.

Yesterday AM, I checked my email and he had written back @ 10:30 Friday night. I made the choice to not call my friend and go. I decided that, frankly, I'd rather spend time with my family. We went to 5:15 Mass, I played drums, then we went to Hy-Vee, got a pizza for Alex and I, got Chinese food for Megan and Karen, went to Mr. Movies and rented "Cast Away" and "Forgetting Sarah Silverman," came home, and by 10, Megan had taken herself to bed, Alex was asleep on the couch, and Karen and I were nearly asleep. We cashed in.

Does that mean I wouldn't have had a good time at the concert? No.

It does mean that, given a choice between family or a free concert, I chose family.

Does that mean I would make that same choice a year in the future? Depends upon the band. Rationalizing it out, I saw 3/4ths of the bands in Moline, IL, in September so I knew what to expect. I'll just go with it.

Today, Alex has basketball practice @ 4. Other than that, there's nothing really going on.

I did start the project I talked about here. So far, so good. I've put 16 CDs onto a spindle.

When I listen to the lyrics of "The Day That Never Comes," I hear a story about domestic abuse. Watching the video, Metallica doesn't hear the same story I do. Powerful video.


Metallica - The Day That Never Comes


No comments: