Saturday, October 18, 2014

Enough with the Crazy Part II

Can you say "crazy" week? It has been a whirlwind of hours going by very fast since Wednesday. I have been busier at home than perhaps I expected to be. Here are some high-level highlights of what's been happening at home.
  1. The Iowa City West High School Homecoming football game was last night. West defeated Davenport North 42-14 and had put 35 points on the board before halftime. That allowed a continuous clock in the second half, which turned out to be good because most of the game was windy and cold.
  2. The Iowa City West High School Homecoming dance is tonight. Corsages have been ordered and (finally) we know when pictures for each kid are going to be taken. Alex's pictures are at 4:30 and Megan's pictures are at 5:45. You'd think it was prom or something. For both Alex and Megan, there has been drama regarding who is going in what group, where the group is eating (at a restaurant or at a house), what time the group is meeting and all sorts of other needless drama. 
    • Side note: this all made me recall that in 1985, when I went to the Kennedy High School Homecoming dance as a sophomore, I didn't have a driver's license. My mother drove my date and I to Carlos O'Kelly's in Marion. I remember that the dog we had (D.D., which stood for Damn Dog) went with us in the car. I don't remember if I sat in the backseat with my date or not. I do remember that when we got to Carlos O'Kelly's, there was going to be a 2 hour wait for a table so I immediately went to the door to try and catch my mom's attention, but she was already pulling onto First Avenue on her way home. This was in the days before cell phones so my date and I were stuck. At the time, there was a Denny's near Carlos O'Kelly's so we walked over to Denny's and ate there. Two other tidbits I think about when reflecting upon this Homecoming Dance. 
      • First, prior to the dance, I had forced myself to start eating lettuce. I remember that I did this because I didn't want to be out to dinner with my date and be embarrassed to say to the server that I didn't want a salad.
      • Second, I am 99% sure that this is the dance at which I kissed a girl for the first time. I didn't keep a journal during high school, or if I did, I haven't seen it recently enough to reread if I even wrote about it. I remember my first kiss was in the Kennedy High School cafeteria, which is where the dances were held.
  3. Both the GMC Canyon truck & the Dodge Caravan van got oil changes this week so I should be good for oil changes until January. 
  4. On Wednesday night, I mowed for what I think will be the final time in 2014. It's getting close to time to be thinking about getting the snow blower started and prepped for winter.

No comments: