Saturday, October 18, 2014

Issues

After several blissful weeks of not having a single PC issue, it seems like the hell of owning multiple PCs has returned.
  1. The CD drive on the Windows XP machine from the Elkader library is flaky, When I put in a CD so it can be ripped, Windows Media Player states that a CD drive is required to rip a CD. Uh, there is a CD drive because I just put a CD into it. If I physically shake the PC, sometimes the CD drive is then recognized but often it is not. I'm just glad that I am in the 200ish range of CDs remaining in the reconversion project when this has happened.
  2. I just discovered the CD drive on the Toshiba laptop is equally flaky. When I put in a CD so it can be ripped, the CD is not recognized by Windows 7. When I go to Device Manager, Windows tells me "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged (code 19)" so, to fix this, I went to this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461. There was an UpperFilters entry in the registry so I deleted it - there was not a LowerFilters entry. I am rebooting the Toshiba now to see if that works.
  3. My work laptop previously would automatically connect to my home network. I have a DOS batch file that maps the network drives to a letter. Today, when I went to do this, Windows asked me to specify the password. Huh? I've never had to do that ever before. I investigated a bit. After finding the unhelpful message below, I learned that I don't have the ability to fix it.
  4. My Samsung Galaxy S4 has somehow been set to play Skillet's "Rise" when I get a notification from my Craigslist app and I can't remember how to take that off.

No comments: