Monday, October 13, 2014

Weekend Was Good

The football game on Saturday ended with a victory, which I guess some would say is the most important aspect of any college football game. I wanted to go beyond that for a moment because I don't want to miss an opportunity to note that there is another aspect of the game day that I really enjoy. When Alex and I go, we take the Hawkeye Express train. We board near IHOP and arrive at the stadium without having to deal with parking in or around Kinnick Stadium. Sometimes, I wish the train would also run during the winter for the basketball games, but I also realize that most people wouldn't want to walk the distance from Kinnick to Carver Hawkeye Arena in the cold weather. Still, there must be at least some people that actually park in the Kinnick Stadium parking lot when they come to an event at Carver. I think it'd be worth a feasibility study.

Anyways, we get off the train and walk over to the recreation building. We wait there until the drumline puts on their drums and marches over to the outside of Kinnick Stadium to do their warmup. This is a highlight each time we attend an Iowa game because, as if it is not obvious, I play drums and Alex plays drums. It's always fun, as a drummer, to watch other drummers play. I appreciate and acknowledge that in order for what we saw on Saturday morning, there were a lot of hours of practice that accumulated. Playing the way the drummers in the video below play is not something you can begin to prepare for on Monday and be ready by Saturday morning, especially since these are college students that have other academic requirements.




No comments: