Saturday, October 18, 2014

Enough with the Crazy

Can you say "crazy" week? It has been a whirlwind of hours going by very fast since Wednesday. I have been busier at work than perhaps I expected to be. Here are some high-level highlights of what's been happening at work.
  1. We are reworking one of our bigger projects after receiving some feedback from an internal customer. 
  2. Sonia has been off work so (not a martyr, just reporting) I picked up some of the work she was doing. 
  3. Another internal customer has been working with Sonia and I regarding changes for a different product's user guide and those changes seem to have taken longer than expected. Actually, I thought I was done early Friday AM, after a 8 - 8:30 meeting only to be given a marked up version of what I thought was the final version with some minor copy edits. I didn't mind doing those changes as, honestly, we don't really have a copy edit process in place. The copy edits dealt with minor things like formatting a column name to be bold or removing stray references to e.g. and i.e. because we are spelling out the Latin phrase instead, per the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications. 
  4. On top of all of that, I'm trying to return to my "baby" project. I happened to notice that the Confluence site for this project was created on December 13, 2013, so it's been in progress for nearly a year. The issue with this project is that there have been a number of starts and stops. The idea is to make our documentation be in the same format and use a lot of the same phrasing so it reads like a single department wrote it. That idea is noble and all, but the aforementioned "bigger project" has become the model project and when decisions are made regarding that "bigger project", I end up doing rework on the "baby" project. Thus, the layout of the user guide, the way information is formatted and the way information is written has been in a state of flux for several months.
  5. Late Friday PM, Sonia, Vanessa, and I met to talk about changes to some documents that need to be made and quickly realized what we thought were going to be simple changes are not as simple. The same internal customer in item #3 above has a meeting on Monday with an external client and wanted to know when they could be told the documents would be ready. Since it was late Friday PM and the conversation had gone in circles for several minutes, I summarized and said we should tell the internal customer that we had met to discuss these documents and that we were targeting Wednesday to be done. I then stated that if we were done on Monday and delivered them sooner, fantastic, but that if we needed Monday and part of Tuesday to make the changes, then we were giving ourselves a cushion. I admit it was an unpopular decision, but in this case, it appears 1 outvoted 2.

No comments: