Tuesday, October 7, 2014

New Gutter Paper

Twenty years ago, when I was working at ACT as a temporary data entry clerk, I read the Iowa City Press Citizen (ICPC). I thought the copy editors were awful. One article that I have taped into a spiral notebook includes the priceless mistake of stating a driver drove east to west to get from Iowa City to Omaha, Nebraska, which, anyone who has seen a map of the United States knows, is backwards - if you drive from east to west from Iowa City on your way to Omaha, Nebraska, you will eventually reach the east coast of the United States and be stopped by the ocean. It's a simple mistake that points to not reading what is being edited. I thought that the ICPC was the lowest of the lows when it came to newspapers and I've never paid for a subscription to that newspaper because of what I considered to be a low quality product.

I'm wondering if the Cedar Rapids Gazette can now overtake that position in my head. I just read an article about comedian George Lopez coming to Cedar Rapids for a couple of shows. The text I put in red caught my critical thinking skills:


George Lopez is going back in time, to January 2014, in order to be in a television series. Why can't the word "sitcom" be used anymore. It's a situation comedy, just like "The George Lopez Show" was many years ago.

No comments: