Monday, August 18, 2008

21 to 18

I have been working on my TWing contract from 9-12. As I signed out of Hotmail, I noticed an interesting link which took me to an even more interesting article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26271328

Make the drinking age 18. Presidents of major universities want a "dispassionate" discussion about the issue. Okay. I'm open to that.
Let's talk about it.
Let's strip all the emotional stuff from it.
Let's get law enforcement officers.
Let's get victims and families of people that have been killed by a drunk driver.
Let's get people who are sitting on the side of the road and get plowed into by a totally intoxicated female who only cares about getting her CDs after she injures someone.
Let's get the wives of husbands who endure their husband's pain as if it were their own.
Let's get them all in a room and ask them to dispassionately discuss the issue.
Let's see how far that gets.

Folks, here's how I see it. I agree with one of my friends. He says that one day you're 20 and you're not allowed to drink any alcohol, even in the privacy of your home with your parents. The next day WHAM!! You are 21 and you are expected to immediately
a) know your limits
b) know how to drink in moderation
c) know how alcohol will change your behavior

There is no clause in the law that says "under parental supervision, a minor may drink alcohol." I think that's what is wrong. I don't want my son or daughter out on their 21st birthday, doing crazy shots of booze and getting sick. That wouldn't be fun. I want them to know what they can / cannot do. Who is going to teach them? If *I* don't teach them, their friends will when parents are gone and they are alone in the house with beer or hard liquor. Who should teach my child? I say me.

No comments: