Monday, August 11, 2008

Monday Again

I missed my 20 year high school reunion this last weekend. I'm sure it was fun for all those that went and I might have had fun if I had gone - I allow for that.

Instead, it was our annual summer camping trip with our Mount Mercy College friends. We get together twice a year - in the winter without kids and in the summer with kids. I am close to all of the adults in our group. I have fun with the kids. I told all of them before they left "Listen to your mom, listen to your dad, don't fight with your brother(s) and sister(s), and keep your room clean b/c you never know when I'll show up."

Today, Monday, it was back to work. It was the first day of our Client Conference and for being an introvert who enjoys his job b/c I can sit and write and listen to music all day, I made it a point to step out of my comfort zone and talk to clients. The conversations I struck up were worth the effort. I am at the conference tomorrow, but not on Wednesday, which is when the CEO is going to talk about the future of the company. Hmmm. I will reach my decade of service to this company on 10/1.

Megan turns 12 on Thursday. She is getting her ears pierced and I'm having absolutely nothing to do with that. Karen's parents are coming down to go out to supper. Everyone but me will go to Mass for the Assumption Holy Day but I'll go @ noon in Cedar Rapids on Friday.

Friday night, my neighborhood is having an impromptu end of the summer party. We're going to put our fire pit in our neighbor's driveway, put some chairs around it, and drink beer (except Margaret and anyone else who doesn't want to or can't - like the kids). I'm looking forward to it. With the beautiful evenings we've been having, it's been hard to stay focused on what needs to be done inside - like laundry - when we could be outside talking to the neighbors. Our neighbor's 6 month old son Jaryn smiles every time I look at him and, I admit, that's addictive to see a baby smile like that.

I finished mowing the neighbor's yard and started/finished our yard.

Paul

1 comment:

John said...

Paul,
I went to the Friday night Bar event for the reunion - was actually pretty fun! I'll catch you up on who I saw later...

-JR