Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Was once Lost and now found

Catherine on the HATT list asked about a site that talks about finding lost things. The site is http://www.professorsolomon.com

Learning of this site is very timely.

Last night, prior to going to a banquet as part of our Client Conference, I was at Best Buy to buy my daughter a MP3 player for her 12th birthday tomorrow (and it's okay - she doesn't know I have a blog). I went to check out and my debit card was gone. I had to use the charge card. At the banquet, without realizing it, I went through some of the steps Professor Solomon talks about. I couldn’t search for it right away and I had to retrace my steps. We went to Wendy’s on Sunday night and I didn’t have my wallet but I used my debit card. I knew I had tan shorts on and that, when we got home, I immediately went to mow our neighbor’s yard (because I get some $ for doing so). I left on my tan shorts b/c it was getting dark and I didn’t go inside – pulled the van into the garage and went to get the mower. I also remembered that when I was done mowing, I immediately showered. I also remembered that I left my tan shorts next to my dresser. Last night, @ 10:00, when we got home from the banquet, I went to the bedroom, looked inside the pocket of my tan shorts and there was my debit card.
The point of all this is that some of these steps work sometimes. I personally think step 12 (http://www.professorsolomon.com/pr12.html) should come earlier, especially if there are children in the house. Case in point, last night, we couldn’t find our dog whistle. Why do we have a dog whistle when no canine lives in our house. Because of our neighbor’s dog, of course. We have a neighbor who has a yippy dog that lives behind us. The dog comes outside on their deck and barks. It can see into our dining room and, when we are inside, it will bark at us when we have the sliding door open. We went to Scheel’s a while back and I bought a dog whistle. For the past few months, when the dog barks, I blow the whistle, it stops barking. It barks again, I blow the whistle and the dog stops barking and jumps on the neighbor’s sliding door to go back in the house. When I got home from work last night, the yippy dog was outside, saw me walk into the dining room and it started to bark. I went to the ‘normal’ place where we keep the whistle and it was gone. My son reported that my daughter had been using it. We followed my daughter’s trail of stuff (I won’t go there onlist) and found it on the couch, which is in front of the TV. Had I turned on the TV, I’m positive the Disney Channel would have been the selected station. I could recreate the crime.
  1. The dog barked
  2. She got up from the couch
  3. She got and blew the whistle to make the dog stop barking
  4. The commercial on Disney Channel ended
  5. She sat down on the couch with the dog whistle
  6. She got up from the couch to get something to eat, like grapes, and didn't remember the dog whistle was next to her
  7. She got sent up to her room to clean it or to put away her clothes or some other chore when Karen got home from work
  8. The memory that she had even had the dog whistle and should have put it back where she found it was successfully deleted from her brain.
That's what I think happened. Professor Solomon did well.

1 comment:

Lee said...

My cousin has a great method that works with her children: she asks them "If you had this in hand and were to put the ABC away now, where would you put it?"

This works pretty well. I've even used it with myself ("If I was to put that item away now, where would I put it?")