Saturday, August 23, 2008

An Unexpected Movie Review

On a date night with my wife in July, I lost the discussion re: whether to see "Mama Mia" or "The Dark Knight." I am the minority. I hated "Mama Mia."

I thought it was cheesy, too many sexual overtones - too much to make it 12 year-old daughter appropriate, not enough to be "Wedding Crashers" material or "Knocked Up" material - and the singing... James Bond singing? C'mon. I was the only guy in the showing we went to.

The plot wrapped up too quickly "Oh yes, after 20 years, after being an independent person, just because *you* show up, say you love me, I'll just drop all my independence for you." I'm not a feminist by nature, but I'm really surprised there wasn't as much uproar from that group about that whole scenario as there is about "Tropic Thunder" using the r word. I found myself marveling at how there is one girl in the background who, in the same song, goes from "sunglasses on" to "sunglasses off" to "sunglasses on." Sloppy editing.

Anyways, I hated it and think I wasted a $8.50 and not just b/c I'm a headbanger at heart. I really didn't object to Abba being the main music - I objected to the whole silly plot line of the Meryl Streep character. She was built up to be *so strong* and then, in a matter of a single scene, gave up all that for someone she had not seen in 20 years. I didn't buy it. I felt ripped off.

No comments: