Wednesday, April 24, 2013

CD to MP3 Conversion Update

As I've been writing about, I've been ripping CDs to MP3s for some time. I have a lot of spindles that hold 100 CD-Rs and while watching TV or folding 25 white wash cloths in the living room, I'll put a CD in and let it rip.

The other night, I came across data CDs from Chris and Kevin. Data CDs mean that I have to copy the contents from the CDs to the e:\music directory. The CDs from Chris have a 12/13/2006 date written on them. There are a lot of awesome bands like Godsmack, KISS, Van Halen, and Winger - yeah, I said Winger. For the moment, I am simply copying the entire contents of these CDs to my e:\music directory and not worrying about if they are duplicates of existing songs/albums. The data CDs from Kevin are also being copied to the e:\music directory as well. Again, I've not concerned myself with whether they are duplicates of existing songs/albums. I will clean that up later. I know there are duplicates, as shown below. The MP3 files were existing and the .wma files are from a data CD.



I did have to change my DOS batch file to include *.wma files. I need to look into if I want to convert from the .wma file format to the .mp3 file format - I don't know if .wma is a higher quality format than .mp3 so I need to consult the Internet.

I ran my DOS batch file and think the number is very high:
54629
I fully expect the number to be reduced as I prune out the duplicates.

No comments: