Sunday, April 28, 2013

I Don't Understand

Earlier today, Megan returned from her Florida trip with the West High band. Karen went to pick her up from West High School while Alex and I stayed home. Our assigned task was to put the white mattress pad on her bed. As Alex and I were working on this, he said to me, "I don't understand why everyone is so happy that Megan is coming back."

I looked at him and paused before speaking. I said to him, "It's different for you because you are her brother. She is my daughter. I am very happy that she is home. It will be different someday when you have a child that is gone for awhile and then comes back."

I don't really know if it sunk in or if Alex really, truly, understood my words. I do hope that, someday, he understands that Megan is the only sister he will ever have. Period. I also hope that, someday, he understands that Megan will go through hell to make sure Alex is okay. It is not easy being a brother or a sister. It can be really difficult at times. Look at the relationship between Alan and Charlie Harper on 2 1/2 Men.

I also think that life is full of opportunities to go beyond what we thought we could do and to be more than we expect of ourselves. Being a brother or a sister is just one of many opportunities.

No comments: