Monday, April 15, 2013

No Elvis Yet

We've decided to cut "Little Sister" from the list of songs, but went through other new songs that I had not really prepared to go through at rehearsal. We added one song that made me recall my youth. If we polish it and play it when we have a gig, it is sure to make a lot of people smile. Time will tell whether it makes our final set list. It seems like we are still shooting for the August 24th gig. Brian talked about dynamics and I am on board with that - I've been playing like Lars Ulrich with only glimpses into playing music the way I know it should be played.

Speaking of Lars, it seems like after every rehearsal I'll say to myself, or write here, that I need to go spend some serious time on the Yamaha electronic set in the basement with the songs we are playing as well as the five Metallica songs on my MP3 player. After last night, I can think the same thoughts. I've picked the following five songs not so I play them exactly like Lars Ulrich plays them. Instead, they were picked to increase my stamina.
  1. "Enter Sandman" is probably the easiest Metallica song to play and at a decent mid-tempo. 
  2. "All Nightmare Long" is a step up in both length and complexity. 
  3. "Sad But True" is a bit of a breather in terms of tempo and complexity. 
  4. "Broken Beat and Scarred" is a bit faster and longer. 
  5. "My Apocalypse" is a hold onto the sticks and don't lose tempo as it is balls-out fast.
Perhaps if I got serious about playing for 30 minutes a night, I would be able to play longer and better at rehearsals. When we tried "Saturday Night" at the end of last night's rehearsal, I knew before we even started that my arms were cashed in and begging for mercy.

No comments: