Saturday, February 8, 2014

Bad Taste

I'm up early, for a Saturday, because we are leaving at 8:30 AM for Alex's basketball game at West.

I have a bad taste in my mouth because I had ordered the Metallica movie "Through the Never" on DVD. It arrived yesterday. I put it in the DVD player upstairs and it won't play. At first, it played but, at the 5 minute mark, it seemed to freeze. I turned off the DVD player and turned it back on. I was able to watch 15 minutes of it before the DVD player "crashed" again. It is a 2 DVD set so I put in the second one - with the documentary about how it was made. Karen and Alex were in the room sitting, while Megan popped in and out, as I was watching this.

What I found interesting was two things:
  • Alex seemed to be really interested when the documentary talked about building the stage and about how it took 40 trucks to move the stage. He asked about bands on tour moving their stages around and really seemed to be interested. It'd be a clamorous job to be on the road crew and it would be very demanding, physically, to be doing construction work day in, day out. I would actually consider doing it for a band someday. I know I would be the low man on the totem pole and I wouldn't ever get to work on a tour as big as a Metallica tour, but nonetheless, it'd be something I would do, if it were presented to me and I had no other responsibilities in life, which isn't going to happen, so what I'm trying to say is that I will never be on a road crew. 
  • Karen seemed somewhat interested in the movie itself. She asked about the premise and if it was about the band. It was kind of funny that she was so adamant about me NOT taking Megan to see it and, exactly 4 months later, Megan was sitting on the couch when the movie began and when Metallica were playing "Creeping Death" on the screen. Is it a movie for kids? Of course not.
The other subplot is that while we were watching the documentary, the people on the screen were using adult language - the F bomb - and neither Karen or Alex noticed it. This is the same kid who seemed very distraught when we were going to the Iowa game on Tuesday. I had picked one of the new Five Finger Death Punch CDs and put it in the CD player in the Ford on the way to game. What I hadn't really paid attention to is that the "volume I" CD is vulgar - F bomb this, F bomb that. Alex really didn't care for it. He also didn't like Ivan Moody's voice when he growled. I pointed out that I really liked the drums more than the vocals and, about that time, the drummer went into this amazing drum fill that I think made Alex realize why I like them. That's just the good - awesome drums - and the bad (to Alex) - the vocals. I do like the way FFDP's lyrics are so confrontational. I think I posted an article about Ivan Moody choosing to be sober and I respect that. A lot.

Speaking of choosing to be sober, I still am. I guess I don't obsess about it nearly as much as I used to on this blog. That may be because it is now part of who and what I am. I don't really think about getting drunk anymore. I don't find myself surrounded by people - either at work or outside of work - that are drinkers. I don't know if that would have happened if I had never chosen to stop drinking or if it would have evolved naturally. I feel like my sobriety is not something I have to think about all the time. I can be sober and live life without being obsessed about it.

It's 7:55 AM and we're leaving @ 8:30 AM. I *have* to take a shower or I'll feel gross at the game. Thus, maybe more words of wisdom later today. Iowa plays MI @ 1 PM and then we're going to 5:15 Mass because Alex is serving.

No comments: