Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Done

"C'mon, make your free throws! I'm paying your tuition!" I shouted from my seat at Carver-Hawkeye Arena as the Iowa men's team dropped another game. This time it was Ohio State, a team Iowa had defeated at Ohio State by 12 points. But, as I sat there on the second consecutive Tuesday night watching Iowa lose, I didn't think about how I had I trudged through the snow and less-than-perfect roads. Instead, I thought about how
  • Ohio State came in and despite loud boos from the student section every time Craft touched the ball
  • Iowa didn't make free throws. 
  • Iowa didn't hit a couple of wide open jump shots. 
  • Iowa didn't get the benefit of the doubt on some fouls. 
  • Iowa didn't play 35 seconds of defense, letting up with 2 or 3 seconds left to give up a Ohio State basket
 All in all, Iowa didn't put themselves in a position to win. It's sad and it's frustrating and it's easy to dismiss the team and say, "I'll never go to Carver again this season" because no matter how much will was being sent from the fans to the players, it wasn't enough.

The worst part of the game, though, was when Iowa fouled with 3.3 seconds left. With time running out and no way to escape the night with a victory, there was a mass exodus of the fans. It seemed like everyone in the arena got up at the same time and, to me, it was giving up on the team. I sat in amazement. Was the traffic that terrible that leaving with time left on the clock was going to make the commute home better? No. It's just frustrating to me to watch the fans at Carver act like that.

I went with Alex and I was impressed with some of the things he said. When the students booed Craft, he said, "I don't like that. It makes the fans look bad." Wisdom beyond his years.

No comments: