Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Minimum Wage Increase and Obama as Satan?

I remember, clear as a sunny day, that when I worked @ the Spring House from fall 1986 to fall 1992, it was a very big deal when I got a raise. I remember my hourly rate went from 3.90 / hour to 4.10 / hour. The $.20 rate increase was a result of me working hard while I was at work. I had shifted from being the host of the dining room to a brand new position that Lester created for me where my job was to, essentially, float around the restaurant and get what needed to get done "done" so that the operations of the restaurant was smooth. If that meant making up syrups so that the waitresses could simply grab their orders, I did that. If it meant filling the bread drawer and rotating the bread, I did that. If it meant clearing a table, I did that. I also remember Lester walking by me one morning with a bus tub and saying, "I can keep busy, can you?" I didn't always agree 100% with Lester, but I will always appreciate what he did for me in this regard.

I mention this as there is now a push to increase the minimum wage to $10.10 / hour. With great interest, I read how the Congressional Budget Office has analyzed the proposed minimum wage increase and that it will cost 500,000 jobs. While I don't agree with an across-the-board blind wage increase, I find it interesting that the CBO can figure out how many jobs are going to be lost. I wish I knew how they came up with 500,000. Why not 450,000? Why not 600,000? I have no idea how to do the math to figure it out. I hate math. I also think that it's possible that teenagers working in a restaurant, like the Spring House (before it closed) shouldn't make $10.10 / hour. And why is it $10.10 / hour? Wouldn't the math be simpler if it were a flat $10 / hour?

40 hours / week x $10 = $400.
40 hours / week x 10.10 = (let me get my calculator) 404.

Is it worth the extra $4 / week to do "more complex" math?

Alex had his next-to-last basketball game last night. Iowa City West lost. When Alex was on the court, he didn't touch the ball except for a couple of rebounds.

The Iowa Hawkeyes men's basketball game @ Indiana was postponed because part of the roof fell.

There's a new movie coming out called "Son of God" and I saw in this article that there were scenes cut in the movie because the actor was was cast as Satan looks too much like President Obama.

No comments: