Sunday, February 2, 2014

Well now, that'll sting...

Super Bowl 48 is in the books and I'm wondering what is going through the mind of Peyton Manning.

After the first play of the game, which resulted in a safety and a 2-0 deficit, Denver looked frazzled. I don't know how they go through the off season without having that miscue (and all the ones that followed) play over and over in your mind. It would drive me to no end.

And yet, as I write that, I think back to how my swim season ended my junior year of high school. I hyperventaliated after my race and dropped no time from my race the week before. It made my season seem like a total disappointment, like all the hard work I had put in wasn't worth it, wasn't enough, and my mind was furious. I was beside myself with disappointment.

And I remember I felt like that terrible feeling would motivate me through the spring and then through summer and fall until it was time to begin my final swim season.

It didn't happen.

Eventually, I forgot how terrible I felt that day and I forgot to use that feeling to motivate me. My final swim season did not transform into success.

No comments: