Friday, February 7, 2014

HTML Redux

Briefly, I'm working on coding two HTML pages. I wanted to have a hyperlink from text in the upper portion of the page to a bookmark in the bottom. I coded the link, opened the page in a browser, clicked the link, and received a "page not found" error.

Hmm.

If you want to code a link to a bookmark, it will work if you actually code the link with #bookmark instead of bookmark. If you code it with bookmark (without the #), the browser thinks you are trying to go to a separate HTML page named bookmark. If you use the #bookmark syntax, it looks within your page.

It's really funny to me that I ran into this today. For one thing, I haven't been coding HTML for a while and to use #bookmark is a very basic thing I should have retained.

At the same time, I'm trying to gut out a CSS file to make the HTML look good. I've gone back to an old CSS file I used to use and merge the existing "requirements.css" with the old one I used to use for the online Help I used to code. It's not going well. I really wish there was a CSS example / template of a CSS file that some other technical writer uses that I could pillage, but I haven't encountered it yet.

No comments: