Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Please! Don't take away my Diverse Musical Landscape

On our way into Mass last night, I was driving and had the radio on. Tuned to Rock 108, a Rage Against the Machine tune came on. The other 2 music critics in the van – Karen / Alex – couldn’t stand the song. Alex complained, “They’re trying to mix rock and rap and they don’t mix.” Karen didn't mince words either as she described the vocalist as sounding like he had "shit in his mouth."

I chuckled at how close-minded they sounded. I know it’s popular to dismiss bands like Korn, RATM, and other rap-metal groups, but what I’ve been thinking about lately is that if those bands didn’t exist, everyone would sound the same. It takes the joining of multiple genres to make the overall musical landscape more diverse.

No comments: