Thursday, March 28, 2013

More Metallica Hate...

From an article about a Metallica concert rider in 1983, there was a comment that Metallica "died" after the Black album.

Metallica is near and dear to my heart. A lot of words have been written on this blog about what I think of them as a band. If I were "into" commenting on articles, this is what I would write:
 |
Jason Newsted used to say something like, "Yes we sold out... every night on every tour."

Before I go into what I think about Metallica, think about a "typical" Led Zeppelin song. Is it "Rock and Roll" or "Dazed and Confused" that best captures the band. Maybe it's "The Ocean" or "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" or "Communication Breakdown" that define "Led Zeppelin" to you. How diverse are those songs? Do they have a common thread? I answer yes, and I also answer that having that diverse of a range of material is an indication of a great band.

Moving on to Metallica, haven't they done a similar thing? I may say "Master of Puppets" is the song that defines the band, but that neglects "Fade to Black" and "Whiplash" and "Orion." I think bands should evolve over time. They have been a band for 30 years. They have survived adversity and challenges throughout their career. If they want to do their own festival and release their own movie, I say go for it and I hope they are great.
|
I need to find an essay I wrote many, many, MANY years ago, where I fleshed out the Led Zeppelin theory I summarized above.

No comments: