Sunday, March 10, 2013

Victory

Yesterday was a day about victory.
  1. Athletics
    • Brian Rock, his son, Alex, and I watched the Iowa Hawkeyes take care of Nebraska for their 20th win of the year. It was Eric May's last game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. I think the crowd appreciated his effort. There was a second senior, Christopher Rickerts who was a deep reserve that got put into the game when the game was out of Nebraska's reach. It was nice that he got in the game.
    • Also, in the world of athletics, the Iowa City West boy's basketball team defeated Bettendorf in the Iowa state basketball finals. It was a victory by 15 points. It was a nice victory for the boys who were able to win without senior Dondre Alexander, who quit the team.
  2. Personal
    • Tied in with going to the Iowa game was spending time with Brian Rock. 
      • We met at Gus' at 11 and had a great conversation during lunch, then left together in my van.
      • During the ride in, it became apparent that even though we are in different cities with different life, professional, and hobbies, we can still have a good time together. 
        • Of course, we talked about the past. 
          • I told him about it being the 20 year anniversary of seeing Metallica in Carver-Hawkeye Arena. He seemed to think that our seats were close to where we sat for the concert 20 years ago. 
          • We talked about how we were really lucky that we shared a room together the year we lived together at Mount Mercy College and that it would have really sucked if that choice wouldn't have been made.
        • We also talked about the future. 
          • I talked about my job and about the good things happening in my professional life. 
          • He talked about his job situation and the challenges he faces.
      • After the game, the line of cars out of the parking lot was long so we had even more time to talk. The surface-level frustration with the long line easily gave way to the deeper satisfaction of talking to my friend. 
      • We returned to Gus' so he could get his car and said "see you later". I hope to always have Brian Rock as a close friend.
    • After the game, Alex and I drove home so Karen, Megan, Alex, and I could go to 5:15 Mass. 
      • We had about 7 singers, (including Len, Rhonda, and Karen), a flute, a violin, Jim played guitar, Judy played piano, and me on drums. Tentatively, I am playing drums for Easter Sunday Mass at 11 with the high school group.
    • After Mass, we went to the party I mentioned after Mass. I wasn't quite sure what to expect when it became apparent that two of the couples we thought were coming didn't show. I would guess they went to the aforementioned Iowa City West state championship game. It took a little bit for me to remember the other two couples that did come but once I did, I had fun. Among the highlights:
      • Good discussion about the Iowa basketball team
      • Good discussion about the following television shows (alpha order, not discussion order):
        • Breaking Bad
        • Duck Dynasty
        • Everybody Loves Raymond
        • Last Man Standing
        • Some show about 10 people living together in a single house in Boston
      • I played with one of the couple's 5 year-old daughter and nearly 3 year-old son.
      • I tuned the hosts' daughter's drum set in the basement. It's a decent kit but it also has its toms at a really high and awkward angle. The hi-hats are a nice thick Zildjian ZBT series and there was a also a 18" Zildjian ZBT crash/ride. The bass drum pedal was a Ludwig (though not a Speed King, which is what I use) and I don't remember the brand of the other hardware. It wasn't a top-of-the-line kit, but it was decent.
 We got home fairly early. There were two movies to watch on TV that are on my "I have to watch them when they are on TV even though I own the DVD:
  •  the end of "Lethal Weapon 2" 
  • the middle of "The Karate Kid"
I think I fell asleep almost immediately. Even though it is time to "spring ahead", I was up early. It is a crappy weather day. Now the forecast is for a snow storm later today, which is when we are having a Scary Robots rehearsal.

No comments: