Thursday, March 14, 2013

New Pope

I am Catholic. Born and raised. I was baptized, received my First Holy Eucharist, and was confirmed at St. Pius X in Cedar Rapids. In high school, I played drums at Mass and continued to do so into college. It was during college that I would still go to Mass on a weekly basis. Sometimes, I was hung over as hell. It didn't matter, though, as I still went to 7 AM Mass on Sundays. After college, I still went to Mass. I was married in the Catholic church in Balltown, Iowa. Karen and I joined St. Thomas More, where we have been parishioners for coming up on 20 years.

Do not think that I am a better Catholic than the next one. I am a sinner, though I'm not really going to tell you my sins. I do have a point for writing all of this. It is to provide context.

I don't like that the new pope is 76 years old. The fact that he is from Argentina doesn't concern me. Within 15 years, the Catholic church is going to need a new pope. And 15 years may be a stretch. Why didn't they pick a new pope that is 50? That would be 20, 25, 30, years of leadership in the church.

That all said, I will support the new pope. I will follow any new polices he puts into place and I will pray for his tenure as pope to be successful in all areas.

No comments: