Sunday, March 3, 2013

Bone

I was at the SEIBA (South East Iowa Band Association) jazz band festival. Both Alex and Megan played in their respective jazz bands. Karen volunteered in the concession stand. I ended up being in the West High kitchen for their cafeteria, getting pizzas from Papa John's from a driver, putting them in a warmer and then, when the pizza was getting low, taking a pizza from the warmer, bringing it to the serving line, taking the empty box and either adding it to a pile of empty boxes or taking it out to the huge garbage bin in the back that is specifically for cardboard.There was a little drama regarding Papa John's. The pizza was late - promised to be at the school at 12:15 and not arriving until 12:45. It turned out okay because I talked to one of the other parents, Dwight, for a long time. We talked about great television shows. I talked about M*A*S*H* and "Cheers" and the lone episode of "Friends" I let Megan watch. We also talked about movies. I rattled off all the movies I have on DVD but "have" to watch when they are on network TV - I listed them previously on this blog. The simple part about me is that I have that list embedded in my brain and am able to extract it during a random conversation. It's who I am.I am also about my friends. I think about my friends a lot, even if I don't see them. I've written about my friends that I hold dear in my heart on this blog, specifically Serbi, Brian, James, and JR.

I thought about JR yesterday at SEIBA, which is why I'm writing this post. JR has been one of my trusted confidants since 4th grade. Perhaps it is documented elsewhere on this blog, but I think our true friendship began in 4th grade. We were in a 3rd/4th grade combination class with Mrs. Bacon at Pierce Elementary in Cedar Rapids. JR played trombone in band and at SEIBA yesterday, there were 3 kids that were wearing this shirt. I thought it was hilarious.

No comments: